Sunday, January 30, 2011

It's Not What It Seems

I'm pretty arrogant I'm told. Often, even. And I agree for the most part. There's some things I try never to brag about and that's really anything that's meaningful.

I'm Elder's Quorum president. Around here people find this out and they are overly impressed with my spirituality. I try not to tell people for the same reasons I try not to tell people when I read my scriptures or attend the temple; If you can't tell by being around me what kind of spirit I have, then I don't want you to think I'm spiritual. Chances are if you can't tell, then all I'm telling you about my spirituality isn't true.

I'd rather people think ill of me than use my gospel activity as a performance to gain favor. Wouldn't that be missing the point?

So why am I writing this blog about my calling? Because I'm humbled and overwhelmed and under qualified and a bit frightened. I don't acknowledge those things very often, so to the people I love most, I wanted you to know that I'm just trying my best to be like Jesus.

I got a call from my brother in law Jared today. He was just thinking about me and wanted me to know. Didn't know I needed that call. I'm grateful he listened to whatever prompting he received. And to remember God cares. Easy to be dumb and forget that sometimes.

3 comments:

Myca said...

I love you.

dirty>south said...

hey cuz you'll be a total boss at EQP. all the ladies will love you.

Corbin said...

I'm glad you understand me Jared. I wasn't going to accept until the stake president told me i was in charge of the relief society too.... it fits right into my hands!!