Thursday, December 03, 2009

Gift or Burden?

I feel like i read people well. I'm pretty perceptive to body language and other communicative clues. And sometimes, i just get what's going, i just do. I don't have to be told, i can just see it. And most times, it's such a great asset to my life. It helps me connect with people, understand, and empathize.

I changed my mind. I was gonna write about knowing how someone else feels, but that's not that important to me. Here's what i've wanted to do for a while and i'm gonna do it now. I'd really just like to spotlight some people and just let them know how i feel. I'll prolly just do one or two every post. Some you'll guess, some you won't. It doesn't matter either way.

These pictures have relevance to my memories of these two people.


I was talking with an undisclosed person and we were remembering some pretty awesome times with a person quite dear to us. we were remembering when we were younger how this person made a big effort to come out and spend time with us youngsters. We must have been between 10 and 14 at the time. This person came and really spent some quality time (yet for him I'm sure annoying) with us. It stuck with me, because he made an effort to care when he really didn't have to, when nobody would have noticed either way.

A few years later, I was in his part and it was the same treatment for an older boy. He took me to a game, showed me his work and other cool parts of his life. He asked about my rather insignificant life and listened intently. There's not an aspect of his life that he isn't exemplary in.

As an a
dult, unmarried, i get asked often if i'm A) dating anyone B) gay. Both answers are no. Some people are better at asking the first one. I know people who have recently gotten married, fight all the time, and i would never ever have married their wife... yet, they turn up their noses and ask why i'm not married. This man never does anything close to the sort. He asks if i'm dating anyone, but it feels like it's out of support and genuine interest in my happiness.

Anyway. That's off the top of my head and i'm sure i'll think of better details later. The fact is... i'm a better person for knowing him and i appreciate everything he's done for me, others, and simply everything he is about. Thanks.

This second one, is both more difficult and so much easier still.

When someone walks into the room and people try their best to respect her, you have to know she's special. Reprove betimes with sharpness and then follow up with love ya know? well, she's the type who doesn't have to use sharpness. I suppose if you are sweet enough, people just want to take care and protect you. I certainly felt that way and it certainly seemed true for many i saw around.

She listened and remembered, sympathized and cared for. She did all the right things to let you know that she was a friend you could completely count on... because she wanted to be counted on. She was that person in everyones life that you just looked up to, that you wanted them to think highly of you. She just sometimes felt like a Celebrity. I found myself many times telling stories and realizing i had no point but to have her listen. And she encouraged it, added to or acknowledged where she could. She's the type of woman who will be a fantastic mother, who's natural inclination is to love and selflessly act. I'm envious of her future husband who will receive a bright mind, a deeply entwined testimony, and mature, independent attitude. She gave me a wonderful example of what a woman can be. And don't get me wrong, i've grown up with some of the best, but to see one my age gives me a type of what to look for and the hope and resolve to continue my own personal search. I am ever blessed to have had such a woman in my life. I hold dear many of the things she's shared with me and will always respect her for how she has handled (yes i used handle on purpose) me.

God gives us gifts. One has gradually shaped me in small ones through small interactions spaced over many years. The other I have more recently come to know and at this juncture in my life, has proven to be a substantial force in the shaping of my life.

And maybe i should be telling these people these things to their face and perhaps still i will, but i want anyone who reads this (all four of you), that my life is enriched by my interactions with these two individuals.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

i just discovered your blog and i love it, you are a great writer! you do read people well, and that is a great talent

Samantha said...

Corbin! All that and you don't tell us who they are? I want names buddy. And maybe a picture or two.

Myca said...

Yeah I can't figure this one out...your most recent post I know exactly who you are talking about...and I agree. He is an amazing man.

Corbin said...

I know i have better stories of him, but i can't think of them right now, plus the ones i can think of make it too obvious