Tuesday, December 08, 2009

It feels good to be grateful


I was 13 and trying to get better at soccer. I had a goal set up in my backyard and at night i'd go for an hour or two and shoot goals.

I was 13 and having (what a 13 year old would constitute as) girl problems. I didn't have a clue what was going on.

He was a few years older. He played goalie and listened. That was a big deal and he pretty much solved my problems.

He did that quite often, made a few minutes where he could sit and listen to me, offer solutions, sometimes help carry them out. I can't ever think of single time that i've been able to help me out with anything. Sadly... I feel like that is still kind of the case, years later. Yet he always is there to offer whatever he can.

It wasn't easy for him growing up, he had way more trials and complications then i ever would. The odds were stacked, yet i watched him over come, do his duty, be responsible, and turn into a man worth really respecting.

He was just always there, doing all the things first before any of us had quit complaining. And he would always do it better then we could. He was accountable and dependable. His selfless service, his hard work, has been something i've always tried to reach after.

He's never had the help either, never the support, but he's always found a way. This is a man who learns his lessons well. He faces the truth as it is and moves forward. He's done things that i don't know if i'd ever be man enough to do.

Some people adopt themselves into the family because you love them like you never could love anyone besides family. Some people have a gift for helping and serving, ya know, the 'show up' people. I'd do anything i could for this guy (even though there's not much i can) and he's shown that there's so much help he can offer.

I'll always look up to this guy and never forget what he's offered so willingly.



Of sweetness, she's always had one of the most tender hearts. I was some few years younger, but she never let my annoying habits or moronic remarks affect her kind and gentle treatment of me. She always had kind words for me and treated me like a lovable younger brother. She was the most loyal of friends to my sister.

She was so empathetic, the perfect person to complain to. And then i watched her strength come out and she made some choices that would change her life forever. She trail blazed, which if you know her, isn't her comfort zone at all. But she, with no family support, changed her life in a big way. And she's stuck to it and it's made all the difference. Married now and with kids, she's an awesome mother and wife. I've always thought she'd make the consummate mother. It seems like she was designed specifically for it. Her whole nature has always been geared towards nurturing and guiding, caring and loving.

I love this woman because she is so easy to love. She never offends, never makes contention, never has an unkind word. I've seen her when she is wronged and i've watched as she's struggled to explain the situation... and even at her most outrageously angry, she couldn't slander her offender. I love how big her heart is and how she just wants to make people happy, even if she has to sacrifice. And i know she does, i know she has to swallow her wants all the time because of what other people want. I admire her fortitude for sticking to those great qualities. i admire the way she lives her life, loves her family, and continues to live the gospel that is newer to her.

She's got a light to her that's very pure. She really is one of the most naturally pure people i have ever met. I admire and envy her for that and am grateful so much for the sweetness that she has always been.

3 comments:

Angie said...

boo-
i love reading all of these, but it is killing me that I don't have names to put with stories. KILLING ME.

oh and p.s. it didn't take 23 years for me to know you were sweet....i've known all along. :)

Stephanie Kay Moore said...

I like what you've got going here, especially this time of year. Must say that I especially love the hint of pictures. I may only have understood the Ninja and Gumby ones, but they made me laugh. Happy Holidays!

Corbin said...

Sorry Gee Gee, i can't really explain why, but i just thought it would be a better thing to do if i kept names off here.

Haha, i appreciate it steph, thank you. Congratulations on the baby!